• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Week Two: Why couldn't it last forever...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    10 weeks of anime: week two
    Why couldn't it last forever...
    。・゚゚・(>д<)・゚゚・。

Woah! Sorry about the delay, meant to have this done last night, but you know... Valentines Day got me busy.

This time, I want to see what you guys think in general about WHEN an anime ends! A lot of the time, anime is based off of a preexisting manga or light novel- unfortunately, they tend to end abruptly after 12-24 episodes. Some do follow along for the whole ride though! There's also a few that we all never, ever wanted to end, no matter what.

What are some anime you wish would have went for longer, or thought they ended too quickly?What would you have changed? If it ended at a certain point in the preexisting story, and you thought it was a bad place to stop, where would you have ended it instead?

How about shows you liked the ending for, but miss watching it every week(or marathoning it or whatever it is that you crazy kids do these days)?

Discuss and take this topic however you want, you don't specifically have to answer my questions!

I decided to count quotes as bonus points(including week one), like Satoshi Ookami suggested- but make sure your replies are substantial! I have high standards, y'know ;) A post with just a collection of quips will only earn you 1 point, no matter how many people you reply to!

Last edited:

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    Sasuga me, I make the rulezzzz xDDDDDD

This is a tough topic... I feel like that in almost every anime =D
    At least in every anime that isn't adapted fully :D
    Plus, it's harder to choose newer ones because they still have a chance for continuations... :D

Since I'm pretty satisfied with 2 cour anime even if it's not adapted fully, I'll choose something from 1 cour ones for the continuation answer.
    Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance.
    It's another random harem LN adaptation, but for some reason this one really got me. I would love to see more of the story =D

As for the satisfying ending...
    I'll be surely missing watching Mahouka and SAO once a week =D But I believe they will continue eventually :D

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
    Years
    I think Angel Beats definitely fits the bill here.

In a short thirteen episodes, such memorable drama and so many lovable characters were introduced, finishing off with a heartbreaking ending.

The manga and light novels (actually created after the original conception of the anime) spanned a much longer period of time, explaining the individual stories of some supporting characters. I would love to have seen that animated, but the creators could not have done so due to a time limitation (hence the LNs and manga). Moreover, it's fairly easy to understand how hard it would be for the producers to make something so perfect any better.

The OST, manga, and OVAs always gave me a heartwrenching feeling inside.

It's almost certain however, that aside from the third OVA, the series will cease to continue, at least in animation.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years

I was really confused for a moment on what anime it should be. And then you've reminded me of Angel Beats.

And I agree, 13 episodes don't do it justice. There are many characters in Angel Beats, each with their own background. However, the anime ended without exploring any of them, forcing the fans to seek out other sources to learn more about their favorite characters.

It's one of the few anime that I wished I could've continued but I can't since it's only 13 episodes. It's so amazing, animation, soundtrack and story-wise, and could've gone better if it had lasted longer. Too bad, the OVA's probably the last time we'll see an animation for Angel Beats.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    While I agree that AB should have definitely been 2 cour anime, for some reason, I feel it would lose some of dem feelings...
    If anime had more subplots, we would know the characters more, but... I believe it wouldn't deliver emotional moments so well.
    Plus, the ending was (even though I wanted much more at that time =D) very satisfying :)

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years

While I'm not aching for any season 2 or anything, I can remember badly wanting to see more of "Another Epilogue" to where Otonashi becomes the new student council president and helping students to pass on. It wouldn't be as fun of course Angel Beats without the original characters besides Otonashi, but I was really interested to see what they could do with that ending.

When I read the title I immediately thought, it's probably just me, but I can't really think of any because I want to see how an anime ends/ concludes. Like (as much as I've only watched a few episodes), but Detective Conan I enjoy it's episode by episode cases, but I'd still like to see how the epilogue is planned and if Conan turns back into his old self or whatever. At the same time, seeing things like Tantei Gakuen Q and Kindachi end does make me kinda wish there was more episodes and cases to watch.

One thing I want to pull out is that when Death Parade finishes I am going to be pretty damn sad.
    Sure Onna is going to leave eventually, but just having the thrill of different pairs of people coming down and to see what games they'll end up playing and what their fate was going to be. Not to mention, after seeing Ginti handle Death Twister last episode, it'd be pretty cool to see the other arbiters in action. Of course eventually the games options and ideas may run out, but it would be nice seeing more episodes than just the 12.

As for the things I miss watching every week. I miss Hunter X Hunter 2011. Even though I marathoned up to the Chimera Ant arc, HxH was just so much fun to watch.
    I think, sports anime in particular I'd always wish they run longer or have another season because I get too attached to the friendships, relationships and characters etc. (more than in any other genre).
    Inazuma Eleven is also something I missed despite it always taking so long to sub. Probably because IE was my favourite anime for such a long time, even when a lot of fans didn't like Inazuma Eleven GO compared to the original when that started airing, I just continually watched it because the series itself can get so unpredictable. Luckily the creator of the series says it's not the end of the IE series and they're doing things to get more of the enjoyment back or something, so can't wait for that.

Also Shaman King, but I've kinda explained it need more of a reboot because it's left on kinda a cliffhanger and the sequel wouldn't work with the anime ending.

Too much xD

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    I wish the bleach anime would have continued, they're talking about starting it back up once there's some more chapters out for the manga. It wasn't the best, not by a long shot, but the weekly episode has been missed for a while. And I just hated where they stopped the anime. If they weren't going to follow through and finish the series they should have just stopped after the battle with Aizen. It really pisses me off.

I would have liked some more Another as well.

When an anime ends I'm not really one to wish for more. I guess I just haven't watched anything good enough yet.

Last edited:
    I'm going to be the odd one out here and say Katekyo Hitman Reborn. ..wat, 409 chapters and 203 episodes? How can you not be satisfied?

Well, this show was my addiction for a few years from 2009 to around 2012 and I was devastated when it ended. I was going through a very rough time in my life around mid-2009 and the series really helped me get through the hardships and pick my mood back up so I owe it a lot for that, but the characters.. ohh man the characters. Personally I thought that Reborn had some of the most interesting characters I'd ever seen in any anime even now in 2015. It shocked me when I heard the anime wasn't going to animate the Shimon Family or Arcobaleno Representative battle and I still sit around hoping for an anime continuation, especially since those final two arcs were my favorites. Maybe some day. /tear

Would've been nice if we saw more Angel Beats, too, now that people are discussing it. It was a great series but I felt like it went by way too fast without exploring the backgrounds of most, if not all, of the characters to any satisfying extent.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
    Following Kill La Kill every week has made my Thursdays so much more exciting to look forward to. I've never counted the days that badly for any other series I've seen, constantly refreshing forums to see the latest discussion on the episode and what may come next.

I wish Grisaia got a 25 episode run instead of 13 due to how long the original VN was. I felt like they could have really expanded on the story for each of the characters with more episodes. I don't believe it's a budget issue either when 8bit have planned for a 2 cour second season adapting the sequels.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
    I hate Angel Beats, don't count me in for that, sorry :(

Anyway, I wished the original run of Rurouni Kenshin adapted the manga completely, basically. Something I will never forgive.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
    Dang, that was blunt >.>

Mind elaborating?

I don't think that's the point of the topic, so we will leave that for later.

Actually on topic, today I was remembering one of my favorite series ever: Major. As stupid as it sounds I never even considered that a series about baseball could remotely be of my interest. It turned to be that I got so obsessed that I watched most of the seasons in about a week or two.

I believe there's a new project on the go, I hope it's a spin-off or something similar.

Skip Class

Years
    Actually on topic, today I was remembering one of my favorite series ever: Major. As stupid as it sounds I never even considered that a series about baseball could remotely be of my interest. It turned to be that I got so obsessed that I watched most of the seasons in about a week or two.

I believe there's a new project on the go, I hope it's a spin-off or something similar.

Mitsuda Takuya's finally going off hiatus with the manga and is just continuing Major! with it's first chapter in five years for all I've heard. Where'd you here there was going to be a new project?

Gosh I really hope he does continue it enough for more anime. I really need to rewatch season 6, but I'd like to see how Goro's kids get into baseball, even if it was just an OVA or something. Favourite baseball anime needs more love xD First season was my favourite though.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    I wish the bleach anime would have continued, they're talking about starting it back up once there's some more chapters out for the manga. It wasn't the best, not by a long shot, but the weekly episode has been missed for a while. And I just hated where they stopped the anime. If they weren't going to follow through and finish the series they should have just stopped after the battle with Aizen. It really pisses me off.
    I'm pretty sure Bleach will continue.
    But I would guess it's delayed because Kubo suddenly decided to prolong the last arc as much as ramen noodles...

I'm going to be the odd one out here and say Katekyo Hitman Reborn. ..wat, 409 chapters and 203 episodes? How can you not be satisfied?
    Ouch, another victim of manga read for me... :D
    But yea, I would also love to see the final arcs animated :D

pkmin3033

Well, I'm not too sure about this one actually, as it ended on such a perfect note...but it was so agonizingly bittersweet. I wouldn't want anything to spoil that, but at the same time, I want to know where certain characters (Ahiru and Fakir) go from here. Princess Tutu is established right from the start as a tragic princess, and that's how she ends...what, is there NOTHING for her, other than a vague promise that something MIGHT happen? That show brought me crashing down and, whilst I love it for making me feel so much - perhaps more than any other anime I've seen to date - I really wish they'd had an ending that was happy and conclusive for ALL the characters.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Mekaku City Actors.

This is literally the only anime I refuse to get over. I remember searching the entire internet for the last episode in English subs and hoping to never find it so I didn't need to watch it end. I've watched the entire thing twice already and refuse to let this anime out of my soul. I need Mekaku City Actors, omg. I don't care if everyone thinks it's crap. I love it and refuse to get over that it's over and only 12 episodes. I want it back.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    While I feel like it came to a fitting end, the feeling of "what do I do with my life now" was never greater than when I finished Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I became so invested in the lives of the characters and the story was dragging along until BAM OVER that it kind of left me disappointed. Even though there really isn't any room left in the story for the particular set of characters in the current way, I'd absolutely love a spin off or something.

Another one would be Wolf's Rain. Again the ending was satisfying but I was not ready to part way with those characters :( I'm a sucker for good characters as it is because they tend to be better people than anyone I know in real life. Even the "bad" guys tend to be more human and compassionate than the people I know in real life.

Skip Class

Years
    Mekaku City Actors.

This is literally the only anime I refuse to get over. I remember searching the entire internet for the last episode in English subs and hoping to never find it so I didn't need to watch it end. I've watched the entire thing twice already and refuse to let this anime out of my soul. I need Mekaku City Actors, omg. I don't care if everyone thinks it's crap. I love it and refuse to get over that it's over and only 12 episodes. I want it back.

Haha it's really weird because despite a lot of people thinking it's crap I also too enjoyed it. I only watched Kagerou Daze/ Days, Summertime Record and Headphone Actor for the PVs and decided not to look into it more till the anime came out. I think it just would have done a lot better as a 24 than a 12 episode anime.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    ad Mekaku:

But what more would you add?
    I mean, yes, they skipped few subplots but in terms of main timeline, the whole plot was finished.
    If we compare it to the videos that is... not sure about Light Novel.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
    Mitsuda Takuya's finally going off hiatus with the manga and is just continuing Major! with it's first chapter in five years for all I've heard. Where'd you here there was going to be a new project?

Gosh I really hope he does continue it enough for more anime. I really need to rewatch season 6, but I'd like to see how Goro's kids get into baseball, even if it was just an OVA or something. Favourite baseball anime needs more love xD First season was my favourite though.

My delusions tell me it's a new project, I just think if I write about it, then it will become true, LOL

And completely agree with you, hopefully we will see more MAJOR soon :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back