• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ripping sound samples from GBA games

DaVince

Game Creator
    Years
    Hello people,

I am in need of an utility like Advance Sound Razor, one that can rip the samples off of the music, but then compatible with the GBA Pokémon games. I have searched the internet thourougly for such an utility, and Advance Sound Razor was my only find, but that only supports one game.

So I have a question to all utility creators or experts on the ROMs. Could someone make an utility to rip the sounds (ESPECIALLY the music samples) from one of the GBA Pokémon games (one will suffice, prferably FireRed or LeafGreen)?

If this is too much to ask, can at least someone point me in the right direction on how I can obtain these music samples from (one of) the games? I'll need them because I'm making some music of my own which preferably have these samples.

I already tried the GSF sound format to get sound samples. There are only two Windows players available for it, one a plugin for WinAmp (which I despise) and one without sound ripping capabilities. But if you have info on how to get the samples from these anyway info is more than welcome.

Awaiting response,
    DaVince

Pazuzu

Flushing Meadows
    Years
    There is a tool that is capable to extract the sounds out of a Pokémon Advance game, it is called Sappy.
    You can find a direct link the the latest version in the Hacking Tools Reference, which is stickied at the top of the Tools Showcase.

The extracted sounds will be saved in Midi-format, which should make them playable in all common audio players.

DaVince

Game Creator
    Years
    Sappy extracts the entire music into MIDI files, with the standard MIDI music library, and it is not what I need.
    What I need is the INSTRUMENTS (or the samples) of the Pokémon music extracted. For example, seperate keyboard samples, drums and so on for all of these samples. I realize no program other than the one I mentioned before exists for this yet, but I know these music sample must be somewhere in the roms...

Years
    • it/its
    • Seen Nov 26, 2022
    Ah! I can answer this...

You need to use the latest version of Sappy 2005, available here. This program is able to extract the sound samples from the GBA Pokemon games, as well as almost any game it's able to find the song-table for.

~Kucheat

HackMaster72

Ruby+HackMaster= Rubikonartist
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2009
    thanx man, the version of Sappy I was using didnt work!

DaVince

Game Creator
    Years
    Perappu said:
    Ah! I can answer this...

You need to use the latest version of Sappy 2005, available here. This program is able to extract the sound samples from the GBA Pokemon games, as well as almost any game it's able to find the song-table for.

~Kucheat
    Wow, thanks a lot! This version of Sappy looks so much better.

But... For all my Pokémon FireRed/LeafGreen roms it says it can't find the gamecode BPGE for FireRed and BPRE for LeafGreen... I let it scan the song table and the only result is one song called "Main" which consist of two beeps... How do I fix this?

EDIT: Ok, Pokémon Sapphire worked, fortunately. Thanks.

Xenesis

Syogun Changer
    Years
    It doesn't have a songtable, because you have to add them yourself.

You can type a number into the track number field and hit play to choose a track if the game doesn't have a track listing already defined.

Back