• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Monotype Challenge v8, Tera Edition

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
Years
  • (I don't know whether it is allowed to sign up more than one challenges. I hope it's OK.)
    Absolutely OK, I'm technically doing two at once myself. (Though I only play my secondary challenge when I'm away from home, and I work from home, so it's very slow.)

EDIT:
    Game(s): Mega Moemon FireRed
    Do you, by any chance, know where to find documentation for this hack? I'm not interested in playing it myself but I want to double-check to see if it needs any game-specific rules for anything. (e.g. moves/abilities/fakemon that interact with types in ways I need to account for.) It's fine to still play it if there isn't documentation, though.

Days
    • Seen today
    Do you, by any chance, know where to find documentation for this hack? I'm not interested in playing it myself but I want to double-check to see if it needs any game-specific rules for anything. (e.g. moves/abilities/fakemon that interact with types in ways I need to account for.) It's fine to still play it if there isn't documentation, though.

There're some documents included inside the folder for downloading in their official page in PokeMMO. But it's just some changelog, bug reports and pokemon (moemon) encounters list. I don't think they are really related to what you are looking for. You may have a look if you want.

Spoiler:

There are no new moves/abilities interacting with types from my experience. I don't think there's any official or fan made wiki for the moves for each pokemon. For reference, they said the move sets are mainly based on GEN 6 with a few modifications. I've just checked with the moves and it should not have any problems with the monotype rules.

The game doesn't really get 'fakemons' but some 'event pokemon'. You can get it by entering the code but you need to finish the 7th Gym battle (Blaine) first. Most of them are just shiny with different sprites, but a few of them are said to be 'stronger' in official promotion. I don't know their BSTs yet and the BSTs are not mentioned officially either. Should all of them be 'completely banned as gift pokemon', or follows the legendary rules if they are BST 600+ or BST 540+?

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • The game doesn't really get 'fakemons' but some 'event pokemon'. You can get it by entering the code but you need to finish the 7th Gym battle (Blaine) first. Most of them are just shiny with different sprites, but a few of them are said to be 'stronger' in official promotion. I don't know their BSTs yet and the BSTs are not mentioned officially either. Should all of them be 'completely banned as gift pokemon', or follows the legendary rules if they are BST 600+ or BST 540+?

I'm going to go ahead and ban the event Pokemon, since they seem pretty similar to Nintendo's mystery gifts and those are already banned, even if they give out non-Legendary Pokemon. Other than that, everything seems fine. The docs also mention that Lance uses a Mega Latias, so I'm going to make another note saying it's fine to use a Legendary with its BST or lower after getting all the Gym Badges, though I'm not sure if any of them are even catchable before then.

Years
    • Online now
    Scarlet Sands - Part 1
    I'm playing the vanilla version of the game, this time. One thing that stopped me from doing this challenge on this game earlier, was that I wasn't sure how many Ground-types are available before the first badge. You can get a couple of them (Diglett & Wooper-P) before going to the academy for the first time. Then after the prelude wraps, you can explore most of the map and pick up basically every non-legendary ground type. I did that, and grabbed as many fast travel points as I could, along the way. This left me with a team of Pokemon that were way too high level, mostly mid-20's to mid-30's. But fortunately, you can breed immediately in Paldea. I picked out a team of six partners to start this journey, and I bred for a level 1 version of each one. The name scheme this time will be "book genres".

I did a little grinding through the trainer battles along the roads around Los Platos & Cortondo, and I attempted the first gym battle. I have a Numel, and two other Pokemon that know "Ancient Power," so I thought this would be a gimme. However, I found Katy's Teddiursa to be a titan. I was obliterated on my first try. I had to go grind out one more level for my team, and I had to use items to buff and very careful strats to debuff when we got to the Teddiursa fight. I didn't expect Katy to have so many ways to steal & eat berries from my team, and the fight got way harder when Teddiursa landed a lucky crit. However, my Numel held on with one HP and was able to both Incinerate the berry that Teddiursa stole, and to deliver a fatal blow. A big obstacle I'm going to face on this run is honoring the clause regarding Tera types. I hadn't realized what a crutch it was to Terastallize and push a huge STAB move, and how hard it will be to not Tera in response to an opponent's Tera. As with all challenge runs, this is going to help me to appreciate complexities to the game and its world that I had failed to appreciate before.

Spoiler: Badge One Team

Back